Monday, 3 February 2014

Distraction and your "Oreo Moment"

Last week was an inspired week for me.

I learned a whole ton last week from Ad Week to the Superbowl (Ad Bowl).

The theme was simple though, DISTRACTION.

During a fantastic Ad Week session by Nicole Gallucci on her book Adversperience (shameless plug here, I work for NG, love the woman, but truly believe in the fundamentals she teaches.. read the book) we saw the shattering visual below:


Um that's pretty insane. So that said, let's pretend you unplug for one hour. 
During that time you miss 20,820,000 tweets.

NO WONDER we're distracted. 

So what does this mean for you brand marketer, brand builder, agency lead, creative type?

Let's start with yesterday, Superbowl Sunday. 
This was the biggest day in Advertising where some brands spent their entire marketing budget on one commercial (that hopefully for them aired in the first half of the game...)
This doesn't include the dozens of brands on Twitter trying to find their "Oreo Moment" (http://mashable.com/2014/01/30/brands-super-bowl-2014/)

As a consumer, an avid commercial watcher, didn't you feel overwhelmed? 

I am a marketer and I felt overwhelmed. And when I got overwhelmed I got even MORE distracted. I reached for my Facebook to see what my friends were saying about the game, and completely ignored what other brands were saying about it as they talked AT me on Twitter.

The only thing I really remember was Budweiser's Puppy Horse BFF ("leaked" and watched pre-Bowl) and Bud Light's "Are You In" (I know people who work on the brand...) and of course JC Penny's Colossal Twitter Failure... 


So as a marketer what do I say to all the brands that want their "Oreo" moment?

A big moment in marketing is about capitalizing on an opportunity.
In this day and age the opportunity appears and you as a brand must be nimble enough to jump at it. And if you are lucky enough to be the first (yes luck plays a part) you earn and can bask in that "moment".

Do you want an Oreo moment? Well first off, don't re-use an opportunity. All you brands that tried to do that yesterday were lost in obscene amounts of cyber noise.
No one heard you.. or heard very few of you (sorry).

Find YOUR moment by identifying

  • What you care about? 
  • What do your consumers care about? 
  • What is your online personality? 
  • Then consistently BE that personality online and wait for that opportunity that is unique to YOU specifically.
  • And now wait. It'

You know what the "Oreo moment" of last night was? Funnily enough....




No comments:

Post a Comment