So in my search to understand the root of ideas and creativity, I've been reading and learning thoughts from people far more successful than I (of course in hopes that I join their ranks one day)
My talented boss put me on a 21 day video training program hosted by Robin Sharma that I watch every morning while I work out (yes I'm in the 5am club, yes it's still hard, yes it's working!)
Today's session was on Personal Leadership and Creativity.
It was bang on what I'm looking to enhance and discover through my journey so I wanted to share.
Innovation and creativity, he said, is seeing what everyone else sees but in a way that they don't see it (I paraphrased a bit). You see the situation full of possibilities and opportunity.
In order to see in those creative eyes you need to know a few things:
1. Awareness: understand what's in side of you and believe that you have a "creative reservoir". Important too is to know how to show that creativity in an authentic form of expression.
2. Creativity doesn't happen when you're thinking about the problem: Go for a walk, eat a great meal, listen to some music. Sometimes it does have to strike, but the beauty is that it can strike just about anywhere.
3. Embrace the importance of rest: I suck at this. But I'm embracing it! As type A as you are, you need a night to yourself, it's just how it is.
4. Capture your best ideas: I didn't think I'd ever be a journal-er. But my brain has too much going on and in order to keep it all in check, I journal. Not saying you should do that too, but grab a napkin or your phone and write down that idea. You never know when you'll need it.
5. Constant change means constant creativity: This is as simple as moving seats every once in a while, but as complex as getting the heck out of your city and taking a drive somewhere new and exciting. New things are inspiring... most of the time.
6. Exercise: I know I know, everyone says this. But it's true. Just go for a run or something, you'll get through it, I promise.
7. Innovation is the response to a difficult problem: I hate the word problem. And being in client service we know NEVER to say problem. It's a dirty word. It's always.. the opportunity is. Why? Because frankly speaking there's always something to learn and learning leads to innovation. Dealing with the opportunity of a lack of light at night, helped create the innovation of the lightbulb. Just saying..
8. Stay curious: Curiosity did not in fact kill the cat.. it made him creative, and inspired, and if he were human probably quite wealthy.
9. Take risks: Sometimes you have to try in order to see it happen. No one found genuis by sitting in their comfort zone. Get out of your box, flock into the unknown, dance your way through it.
10. Create the environment for creativity: Be in places that inspire you, talk to people that teach you, open your mind to your surroundings.
Now I believe everyone can be a "creative". And that's my journey - to spell it out and learn life's secrets.
If it's your journey too, the next time you look at the sunrise.. really LOOK at the sunrise. See how it's never the same two days in a row. The colours blend together so effortlessly. And the depth of the sky goes on forever. Seeing a normal thing in a different way, that inspires creativity.
Till next time friends, inspire yourself.

My talented boss put me on a 21 day video training program hosted by Robin Sharma that I watch every morning while I work out (yes I'm in the 5am club, yes it's still hard, yes it's working!)
Today's session was on Personal Leadership and Creativity.
It was bang on what I'm looking to enhance and discover through my journey so I wanted to share.
Innovation and creativity, he said, is seeing what everyone else sees but in a way that they don't see it (I paraphrased a bit). You see the situation full of possibilities and opportunity.
In order to see in those creative eyes you need to know a few things:
1. Awareness: understand what's in side of you and believe that you have a "creative reservoir". Important too is to know how to show that creativity in an authentic form of expression.
2. Creativity doesn't happen when you're thinking about the problem: Go for a walk, eat a great meal, listen to some music. Sometimes it does have to strike, but the beauty is that it can strike just about anywhere.
3. Embrace the importance of rest: I suck at this. But I'm embracing it! As type A as you are, you need a night to yourself, it's just how it is.
4. Capture your best ideas: I didn't think I'd ever be a journal-er. But my brain has too much going on and in order to keep it all in check, I journal. Not saying you should do that too, but grab a napkin or your phone and write down that idea. You never know when you'll need it.
5. Constant change means constant creativity: This is as simple as moving seats every once in a while, but as complex as getting the heck out of your city and taking a drive somewhere new and exciting. New things are inspiring... most of the time.
6. Exercise: I know I know, everyone says this. But it's true. Just go for a run or something, you'll get through it, I promise.
7. Innovation is the response to a difficult problem: I hate the word problem. And being in client service we know NEVER to say problem. It's a dirty word. It's always.. the opportunity is. Why? Because frankly speaking there's always something to learn and learning leads to innovation. Dealing with the opportunity of a lack of light at night, helped create the innovation of the lightbulb. Just saying..
8. Stay curious: Curiosity did not in fact kill the cat.. it made him creative, and inspired, and if he were human probably quite wealthy.
9. Take risks: Sometimes you have to try in order to see it happen. No one found genuis by sitting in their comfort zone. Get out of your box, flock into the unknown, dance your way through it.
10. Create the environment for creativity: Be in places that inspire you, talk to people that teach you, open your mind to your surroundings.
Now I believe everyone can be a "creative". And that's my journey - to spell it out and learn life's secrets.
If it's your journey too, the next time you look at the sunrise.. really LOOK at the sunrise. See how it's never the same two days in a row. The colours blend together so effortlessly. And the depth of the sky goes on forever. Seeing a normal thing in a different way, that inspires creativity.
Till next time friends, inspire yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment